500

This is my 500th blog posting- so  I thought to commemorate that  I would tell you my top ten books- books that have marked who I am and how I think and I make no apologies for my selections- they are in no order- they are too diverse to order from 1 to 10.

The Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok - this book is crafted, and no matter what culture you connect with, it challenges you how to hold onto your culture, yet be free from it. Chaim Potok is my favourite author.

Complete Indian Cooking: 325 Deliciously Authentic Recipes for the Adventurous Cook
By Mridula Baljekar - I use this book every week, I love Indian food and I love cooking it.

The Bible - My guide to how I live my life.

Golda Meir; My Life.- The first autobiography I ever read, I received this as a prize for topping my Year 13 Geography class. Pure inspiration.

Long road to freedom; Nelson Mandela-  even more inspiration, a great leader who fought for what he believed in , even though it cost him 26 years imprisonment.

Penguin History of New Zealand: by Michael King. I am a New Zealander and this tells my story.

Asterix: -    The books that hooked me into travel and gave me a bigger world view when I was a teenager.

Soul Survivor:  by Philip Yancey- 12 people that have guided Yancey to a healthy soul and me as well. Gandhi, Chesterton, Dr Bland, Neouwn and others share thoughts to help you have spiritual life that has real meaning.

Tu; by Patricia Grace- a great story of war, Maori and family.

Dance with a poor mans daughter: by Pamela Joost. Set in Capetown- I am not a South African, but I have been to Capetown many times and worked in the coloured community doing educational aid. This book transports you there so you can see it, dance it, taste it, hear it- as it tells the story of District 9!

Comments

  1. Thank you for the recommendations, I will add some of these to my reading list! Hilary G

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts