The Girl You Left Behind

By: Jojo Moyes
Location: FIC MOY
Gemre: WWI - Today. A generational love war story.

I loved Me before You. Actually I hated it- it made me think, I could see it, feel it and responded to it. I was in Tanzania and was reading it on my E Book. I didn't need a late night- we had heaps of hard travelling to do, but I stayed up and read til the end- mosquito's biting and all. The nose ran and I reflected for days. So I am excited that Jojo Moyes has written another book for me to put on my E Reader for the next trip in a couple of weeks.

Zarina on Good reads has me  worried though that the same thing will happen to me as last time..
The Girl You Left Behind has a dual time-frame narrative; the first part is seen through the eyes of a woman in occupied France in 1916, the second through one living in modern day London. I'm not generally a fan of historical literature, particularly one with a war setting, so I was slightly reluctant at the start of this novel. However, any doubts I had were washed away mere minutes after picking up the novel as the story within was so gripping that I could barely manage to put it down at all.
 So here I go again....
The story: France, 1916. Sophie Lefevre must keep her family safe whilst her adored husband Edouard fights at the front. From the moment the new Kommandant sets eyes on Sophie's portrait - painted by Edouard - a dangerous obsession is born, which will lead Sophie to make a dark and terrible decision. Almost a century later, and Sophie's portrait hangs in the home of Liv Halston, a wedding gift from her young husband before he died. A chance encounter reveals the painting's true worth, and its troubled history. A history that is about to resurface and turn Liv's life upside down all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts