I am Rebecca

By: Fleur Beale
Location: FIC BEA
Genre:  Youth Fiction- Cults

Sequel to I am not Esther

I grew up with a girl who was in a religious cult. It was a scary thing. Her mind had no freedom, we was not allowed to dream, to plan, to have her own hopes and dreams. She was shadowed, watched, observed. When she was " Excluded" we could hang out, eat together, and be typical teenagers- but when they "went back in"- I could not even give her a call.
What is with that? What ticks me off the most is that this girl- Julianna- had so much potential, she was so talented. I know she will never read this blog- she wont be allowed too. She got married young- it was "arranged" and  they 4 boys. I always promised her I would help her escape if she ever asked- the promise still stands - especially since her husband is violent.
I get the feeling these two books could be secretly written by Julianna, it is her story- except she is still stuck!
So this book-
When she turns 14, Rebecca will find out who she is to marry. All the girls in her strict religious sect must be married just after their 16th birthdays.

Her twin sister Rachel desperately wants to marry the boy she’s given her heart to. All Rebecca wants is to have a husband who is kind. But both girls know the choice is not theirs to make.

But what will the future hold for Rebecca? Is there a dark side to the rules that have kept her safe?
Can the way ahead be so simple when the community is driven by secrets and hidden desires?

Katariana in Goodreads.com comments
At the end of the book, I was praising the Lord for creating Fleur Beale for creating this piece of an eye opener, bravery and courageous book.


She is right- it is courageous, but it is required.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts