You're the kind of girl

By: Daniel Herborn
Location: FIC HER
Genre:    Boy meets Girl with Music

I play the ukelele- kind off! At the end of the day I sit on the sofa and have a strum, it soothes my soul and helps me chill before |I find my electric blanket heated bed! Music is something that just lets me be in a different place and a different world.

Set in the cafes pubs and dives of Sydney's Inner West YOU'RE THE KIND OF GIRL I WRITE SONGS ABOUT is a ballad to that time of your life when you are trying to work out who you are, what it is you want and what will it take to get you there.

"You’re a recalcitrant, Tim. Always will be.’
‘I don’t know what that means,’ I say.
‘Why doesn’t that surprise me?’
‘I thought this was a geography class, not a pretentious words class.'

"Told in short, snappy back-&-forth chapters, alternating Mandy then Tim, it's a homage to old rock, punk rock, new style rock and the people who embrace it.

Mandy is having a gap year, which turns out to be a year of watching daytime television, working at a sandwich bar, and going to local band venues to check out the scene. Mandy knows her stuff. She's committed to her musical tastes, and when she meets Tim, singer songwriter, soulful and able to look into her soul, there is an immediate connection.

Of course the attraction is mutual. Tim is a character with hidden depths, a sad backstory, and an tenacious attitude to his craft. He is also a very nice boy. I loved his portrayal. He never comes across as too cheesy or clichéd. He's laid back, has great comebacks, and sets his sights on Mandy in a true gentlemanly fashion.
 A beautifully written, charming must read."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse

Where's Wally

A Disaster in Three Acts